Friday, May 27, 2011

Sweet! Interesting Nonfiction for Kids

Looking for a great interesting nonfiction topic for kids? Candy!

As I write this, I have candy on the brain. Today was spent wandering the aisles and aisles of treats at the Sweet and Snack Expo at McCormick Center in Chicago. So, going to have to make this short and sweet.

A few months ago, as I am wont to do, I had to check out what has been recently published for kids on the subject of candy. Here’s another category of nonfiction books for kids to get them to read more nonfiction. I mean, who wouldn’t want to read about candy?

Pop!: The Invention of Bubble Gum
By Meghan McCarthy (Author, Illustrator)
Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books  May 2010

The Mars Family: M & M Mars Candy Makers (Food Dudes)
by Joanne Mattern
Checkerboard Library Jan 2011

Candy bomber : the story of the Berlin Airlift's "Chocolate Pilot"
by Michael O.Tunnell
Charlesbridge 2010

Candyfreak: A Journey through the Chocolate Underbelly of America
By Steve Almond
Harvest Books April 2005
One of my favorite books. A perfect YA nonfiction read.







Sweet! : the delicious story of candy
By Ann Love
Tundra Books 2007









I feel that many reading this are coveting their swag from Book Expo in New York this week, but check out my sweet sweet haul from the Sweet and Snack Expo.

2 comments:

Marfe Ferguson Delano said...

What a fun post, Anna. That's my kind of swag!

Alicia said...

Loved the post today. I am actually working on a candy-related project at the moment and seriously envied that stash of candy. Thanks for the new suggestions!